Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Day 14 - Beatles Songs

Top 5: Beatles Songs
  1. In My Life
  2. Come Together
  3. I Am the Walrus
  4. Something
  5. I Saw Her Standing There
Well Sam, here's one just for you... This was the most difficult list so far. So many good songs, and only 5 spots. I tried to fill them as follows:

Best overall song that has everything you could want in a Beatles song: In My Life
It is so beautiful and so perfect. Amazing melody, beautiful harmonies and Sir George Martin's harpsichord solo in the middle just adds to the magic of the song. I loved it the first time I heard it, and still love it to this day. I think the older I get, the more poignant the lyrics will become. I can hear those opening chords in my head, and I know I made the right choice. Hey Jude made a strong push in this category, but it seems a little worn out these days. Maybe seeing Na-Na-Na spelled out in the crowd at the Super Bowl spoiled the song for me.

Best Protest/John Lennon Song: Come Together
This song just edged out the fast version of Revolution in this category. In addition, every gig Sam and I played together, featured us doing a damn fine version of this song.

Best "lets take acid and see what happens" Song: I am the Walrus
This song is brilliant, and as cracked out as they come. The orchestra adds to the madness and genius of this tune. Ok kids, drugs are bad... unless you are a musician. Ask Ray Charles! Strawberry Fields and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds were other close runners up in this category. Oh, and don't forget about Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Best George Harrison Song: Something
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
and Here Comes the Sun are the other obvious choices. However, Something is simply too lovely to ignore.

Best Early Beatles Song: I Saw Her Standing There
Out of all their early songs, this one is my favourite. I really think it held up better over time than songs like Please Please Me and She Loves You.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choices.

My top 5 (in no particular order):
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
A Day in the Life
For You Blue (Naked version)
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Let it Be

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home